Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Extreme Snowfall + Icy Roads = Car in Snowbank

There has been a snowfall warning for the past two days and usually that isn't a big deal to me, in fact the first night of the snowfall warning I had to coach swim practice which is straight down the mountain from our place and other than visions of sliding down the highway I really wasn't too worried.  As it turned out the roads were not so great but I luckily avoided the major areas that were backed up with traffic trying to get home amid the accidents and stopped vehicles.  Two hours later the roads were cleared and I sailed on home with no troubles.  This morning this changed up a bit, overnight we had more snow and when I went out to shovel the driveway I realized how icy it was out there but still I had to get the kids to school and wasn't too concerned.
To give a better picture of where we live I will try to explain the layout of the streets, we live on a dead end street and to get to a main road you need to either drive up a curvy snakey road with a bit of steepness to it or drive down a steep one lane road.  Both of these paths will get you to the main highway but not without some creative driving on snowy days.  Getting back to this morning, I loaded up the kids drove a few houses away and picked up my friends children and off we went straight up the curvy, snake like road, the car had a few slippy moments but we made it to the top with little trouble.  I dropped the kids off and headed back home the same way but this time when I found myself at the top of the curvy snakey road I geared the car down to 1st and started out at a snails pace, I knew enough about this road to be concerned with it on a icy day.  As I am slinking down the steep hill the car starts to pick up more speed than I would like so I pumped the brakes which worked until I hit the first big curve, that is when all hell broke loose.  The car started to veer towards the embankment of trees and I tried steering it away and pumping the brakes but to no avail, I plowed straight into the snowbank.  Thankfully the snow stopped me from going over a very steep embankment.  After having a little freak out moment, I was able to assess the situation and eventually got myself unstuck, drove home, parked the car and went inside on shaky legs.  After two cups of coffee I made my way back outside to see if there was any damage done to the car and although there was a pile of snow stuck to the front grill, nothing else seems to be wrong **thanking my lucky stars**.  Now that I have settled down I will share some pictures of the beautiful snow, even though I didn't like how my car ride ended up today I won't take my bad feelings out on the lovely snow covered world surrounding me.


No comments: