Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

I remember when

I could fall asleep almost anywhere.  If I was tired enough I could curl up on a couch while my parents played cards with friends in the next room and before long I was being carted out to the car for the trip home.  I also remember being able to sleep on the bus after a weekend of intense swim events.  I was an endurance swimmer and therefore had the long distance swim events to look forward to each and every meet I attended.  This almost always guaranteed that I would zone out into dreamland not long after the bus left whatever city we were in and kicked it into high gear home.  Many an early morning would dawn on our home aquatic centre with parents waiting in the parking lot for our bus to arrive...4...5...and 6 in the morning we would roll off the bus and into the waiting vehicles looking forward to our warm beds and a good 10 hours of sleep.  Those were the days.  
Many years later I can still fall asleep pretty much anywhere halfway comfortable but I think I have passed along this trait to Hailey.  Last night I was sitting at my computer desk watching a movie when Hailey appeared wondering what I was doing, soon enough she was lying on the floor beside my chair fast asleep...and I have proof.  Notice the cat under the chair too, must have been the place to be last night I guess.


It's a gift that just keeps on giving really.

I also made my very first batch of plum jam this weekend...colour me proud, I have never in my life every pickled, relished or plum jamed anything and this year I did all three fairly successfully.  My mom is the baker, canner, jam maker in this family and usually supplies the rest of us with her wares but this was my year to try it myself and now that I have a better understanding and a cookbook or two that talked me through the process, I am not afraid to do it on my own.  As my grandfather would say "you can do it my little stubble girl".  The nickname comes from when I was a baby and my parents farmed, mom would take lunch out to my dad who was working in the field and I would be bundled up and laying in the stubble while he took a break to eat lunch and chat with mom.  And while millions of people make their own jam and pickle their own cucumbers and no one throws a party, this was a first for me so yes grandpa I did it :)




2 comments:

✿ɮCɮαw~ɳée✿ said...

Awwww.... Dman used to fall asleep all over the place when he was younger... Eman would only sleep in his bed. lol Wow Jam looks tasty!! What is needed to do canning? I want to try to do asparagus, & spicy sweet pickles & maybe some jam. I am such a noob when it comes to canning.

Nicole said...

This is my first time ever Bonnie so believe me if I can do it so can you.
All you need is a good recipe and some jars to fit it all in :) I made relish this year too and it is mighty tasty :)