Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Birthday...

Last week the kids and I took a trip with Greg to Kelowna, he goes for work and we tag along to swim at the hotel pool. We left right after school on Wednesday and yes I let my kids miss two full days of school but I justify it by thinking that we don't do this on a regular basis. When Greg first started working for this company both of the kids were still to young for school so we pretty much went with him on his trips, I always saw it as a perk of being a stay at home mom. Now as they are growing older and the trips with daddy are becoming less and less I am feeling the loss of it all and so in my mind missing two days of school was not the end of the world. Logan's birthday also fell on Thursday last week so we let him choose where he wanted to eat supper that night. He picked Red Robin, he originally had said Pizza Hut but his sister convinced him that at Red Robin they would sing happy birthday to him and that seemed to be a good enough reason to go. While they did stand him on his chair and sing to him he looked like he was going to pass out...not sure what was going on in that mind of his but looking at the photos now and seeing his expression is priceless, the picture doesn't do it justice, you are going to have to trust me on this.

A really great thing I realized about my son on this trip was that being away from home on his birthday changed up the usual birthday routine. He didn't get the monster cake with candles and singing...no friends surrounding him with gifts wrapped up in their laps yelling out "pick mine next". It was a simple, non showy day with just a nice supper out. We bought him a webkinz Buffalo which he named Sabre...hockey anyone??? And he was happy getting just that one gift. He made me very proud by never once asking if there was more...there was more but it was at home and had to wait until the trip was over...but he didn't know that and I can't help feeling all gushy inside thinking of how the simple things really are all that matter with this little guy. Happy 6th birthday little man!

No comments: