Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bitter tasting medicine

I am not sure when I was old enough to handle swallowing my medicine in pill form...when I made the move from liquid meds to solid pill form but I am seeing that neither of my children are very good at swallowing pills.  Let me explain...last year when Hailey was fighting pneumonia which had a very strange skin rash attached to it we tried using Benadryl in pill form.  She succeeded in taking a few doses but had one episode where the pill wouldn't go down and she ended up with that nasty pasty taste...and that was it...the stubborn gene kicked in and she wouldn't even attempt to swallow a pill.  Back to the liquid...
Now Logan is dealing with something similar but not with the pneumonia.  He woke up with a very odd rash on his back Wednesday morning...we went through all the regular questions...did we change the laundry detergent??  Nope.  New PJ's?  Nope.  Did he eat anything out of the ordinary the night before??  Nope.  etc...After going over our extensive list a few times we could not come up with any reason for this rash.  I sent him along to school thinking the rash would disappear after a few hours...that is my tough mom side coming through.  Around 1pm he called from school complaining of a sore head and that his rash was back...I am thinking it never left but he most likely forgot about it for a little while.  Sure enough after getting him home and inspecting his back the rash was still there only now it was also behind his ears.  Lucky for him at this time it is not itchy...good sign.
So last night I decide to give him another dose of Benadryl even though it hasn't actually worked but there is always hope.  Now as I look through our medicine cupboard I can only find it in pill form but thinking that Logan could handle it I hand him one with a glass of water and give him the thumbs up.  At first he puts it in his mouth and takes it out again real quickly...then on try number two I watch him take a few gulps of water and think to myself...SUCCESS.  Not so...out comes the pill and onto the counter.  So we decide to put the pill in water, let it dissolve and then drink it down...his idea not mine.  What ensues after this is almost like watching a comedy on TV.  He takes a swig and immediately spits it back out...I try to sweeten the water with a spoon full of sugar thinking this may help and it did...a little bit...let me show you what I mean....
I give him credit though...I don't think I could have done it that way...throwing the pill to the back of my throat with a big gulp of water seems like a better way to me.

I kept him home today from school and we will be off to see the doctor later this afternoon...fingers are crossed that he has a better answer and solution to our little bumps.

4 comments:

staceid said...

Carolyn has progressed from liquids to meltaways... she hasn't been brave enough to try pills yet though.

Nicole said...

We haven't really either as you can tell from his failed attempt...lol

✿ɮCɮαw~ɳée✿ said...

OMG Nicole I know how you feel!! D-man who will be 12 in a few weeks cannot swallow the SMALLEST pill out there. He should be starting to switch over to the adult Tylenol etc but I have to buy the meltaways which he needs like 3 1/2 of. Eeeep! lol Eman can swallow the huge Omega 3's. So I know I have no issues with him.

Nicole said...

Oh the things we do for our children...one day it will be someone else's problem...lol